Monday, December 17, 2007

Clarity of Direction

'Just where do your passions lie? What are your heart interests?'
That question has been plaguing me lately. It is so very important to have some kind of answer, for now is a time of decision. Today, as I have weighed up the options before me, I have attained peace. Now, I was going to take a day off work, but felt it best not to - and believe that if I had, I may not have reached the insights I now have.

The idea of community has long been an interest of mine, particularly the lack of it that I experience, and what it really could look like. At its best, I have experienced it in the context of Christian camps and mission. I feel that the living arrangements as we have them in our society are due for an overhaul, or at least I don't want to be a part of them. My vision is for something communal and simple, revolved around shared resources. The Internet, as the biggest conduit for community on the planet, is a key component of the process. Our consumptive, 'me first' lifestyles do not allow for the pleasure that good community can give. I want to experience living, vital, thriving community.

So I look into the option known as 'Intentional Community', which is how you describe the kind of modern-day communal endeavors, taking multiple forms. That is the direction I want to head, but can I do that just now? Not really, I need to get out of debt, save money, and really make sure I go into the right venture. It will all require some kind of investment.

What about the living with parents option? It still doesn't feel right. They have such ego-centric dramas so strongly developed which can only bring you further down and trigger more despair. The Gold Coast is not a great context for your spiritual development, and you have already made some headway in your network of friendships. It is an option, yes, but should be the lowest option in a scale of best to worst.

I guess it was the news today of two job opportunities that really brought your hope to life, as both sound to be potentially better environments than the present job. But what about the option of living in the UK? You've got the Right to Abode, so why not? The market is still strong. And that takes me to Findhorn...

Findhorn is a spiritual retreat centre, strongly focused on raising consciousness.....which is probably my greatest passion right now. It houses intentional communities. Staying there is described as being immensely transformative. It is based in Scotland, which is part of the UK, so I have access to it for as long as I please. So what about working in the UK and going there? Well, coming from an unstable financial position, it would be most unwise. Can you really afford to make such a move while in the red? I don't know anyone who has.

So, the greatest pathway before me now is to take a job opportunity in the new year in Melbourne. Seek to reduce my outgoings and increase my incomings through means such as savings and investment. This might mean a year of staying put and being occupied with what is with me now, all the while keeping the vision of Findhorn and the UK clearly in view. With these options in mind, I need not ponder over multiple other options, and can stay focused on these uniquely special goals.

No comments: